Mission and History
The Bright Horizons Foundation for Children is a nonprofit organization focused on brightening the lives of children, youth, and families experiencing homelessness and other crises. We do this by creating and supporting Bright Spaces; warm, safe, enriching spaces in homeless shelters and other agencies for children and youth to build caring relationships, heal from trauma through play, and experience the joy of childhood. The Foundation believes that we can make the world a better place by engaging Bright Horizons’ employees, clients, families, friends, and community partners to strengthen families, support our communities, share our knowledge, and encourage others to join us in making a difference.
The Bright Horizons Foundation for Children was founded in 1999 to fulfill the mission of Bright Horizons to “make a difference in the lives of children and families.” Through the Foundation, Bright Horizons supports nonprofit organizations with programs for children and families. The Bright Horizons Foundation for Children extended its ability to make a difference in the lives of children with the successful launch of our Foundation in Europe in August 2005.
At Bright Horizons, we have a wealth of knowledge about children and families. Through the Bright Horizons Foundation for Children, we can extend the reach of our knowledge and commitment far beyond the walls of our centers, schools, and programs for enrolled families to at-risk children and families in the communities where Bright Horizons Family Solutions employees live and work. We do this by supporting programs that instill a positive self-concept and self-esteem in children; provide children and families with nurturing, creative environments; and support and facilitate the development of strong families.
We support a range of programs that serve children and families through volunteers, grants, and resources. Our signature program, Bright Spaces®, play areas that brighten the lives of homeless children and families in crisis, serves thousands of homeless children each month.
We believe . . .
– that every child has the right to a happy childhood.
– that all children and their families need safe, comforting places where they can grow, bond,and develop through play together, especially in times of distress.
– that all children deserve the opportunity to reach their full potential.
In the Power of Individuals
– that every individual has the power to change lives and make a difference.
– that recognizing volunteer efforts can inspire others to join in.
– that through our programs, we provide a way for people to brighten lives, connect with others, and help their communities.
In the Value of Knowledge
– that our greatest assets are the talents of Bright Horizons’ employees, clients, families, friends, and community partners, and their passion for meeting the needs of children.
– that we can be a constant and committed support to children and families facing troubled times.
– that sharing our knowledge and commitment to quality helps our partner organizations better meet the needs of the children in their care.
In Working Together Toward a Better World
– that we have a responsibility to make the world a better place for all children.
– that we strengthen our communities by supporting the causes that matter to members of the Bright Horizons family.