Why Knot? Resource Page
Creating Comfort Blankets for Children in Crisis
Thank you so much for your interest in our Why Knot? project to create Comfort Blankets for children in crisis. This is a great, hands-on volunteer project that allows you, the children that you care for, your family, your friends, and/or your co-workers to work side by side creating cuddly fleece blankets for children who need the comforting warmth of a blanket made just for them.
Please note: If you have problems downloading any of these files, or, if you would like a document in its original form (such as word or excel), please contact Julie Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Six Simple Steps
1. Register - Email us and let us know that you’re ready to start a Why Knot? project. We’ll give you everything to get started and assign you a Job Code so we can keep up with how many blankets are made by all the Why Knot? teams.
2. Decide – where do you want your Comfort Blankets to go?
a. Local Project, if you want your Comfort Blankets to stay with children in crisis in your own community. You choose a local nonprofit that serves children in crisis, then talk to them to make sure they would like to receive handmade fleece Comfort Blankets. You’ll need to find out from them how many blankets they would need, and the age and gender of the children they care for. Write this down and go to Step 3.
b. National Project, if you want your Comfort Blankets to be sent to children in crisis anywhere in the country. You make the Comfort Blankets, then let us know how many you have, and ship them to our national Comfort Blanket partner:
My Stuff Bags
5347 Sterling Center Drive
Westlake Village, CA 91361
Write on the outside of box: “From Bright Horizons.”
3. Raise the money for your blankets. Use this Why Knot? flyer to post in your Center or School. The fabric for each blanket costs approximately $10. So, take the number of blankets you want to make and multiply by $10. Simple, right? Write this down and go to step 4.
4 . Buy the fabric for your blankets. You’ll want to buy warm soft fleece in fun prints and colors. Go to your local fabric store or go on-line to vendors like Joann.com. You’ll need 1.25 yards for each blanket, plus scissors and a ruler. Fabric Purchasing Directions
5. Make the blankets! Following the Comfort Blanket Instructions you’ll cut a fringe for each blanket, knot the fringe, and voila! a beautiful, warm, comforting blanket that a child in crisis can hold and snuggle with. Each blanket takes approximately an hour to complete; the more hands that work on the blanket, the less time it takes!
6. When the blankets are complete, let us know how many you made (Completion Form - Very Important! ), snap a picture (if allowed), and celebrate a job well done. Be creative; the best shots will be included in our gallery on our website.
a. Local - If your agency partner allows it, take photos of your team delivering the blankets to the agency children.
b. National – Take a photo or youtube video of your team with your completed blankets and send it to us.
By combining the efforts of Bright Horizons® employees all across the country, we can brighten the lives of thousands of children in crisis.
Thanks for your help!
For more information, contact Julie Kelly, Why Knot? Coordinator, email@example.com.